Welcome to my website
Here you’ll find information about my composing, and also about my writing on classical music. For lists of works by me, performances, recordings, reviews, and ongoing projects, please click on the menu tabs above.
For all enquiries, please contact me at email@example.com.
(1) In April 2018, in her recital in the Eastgate Theatre and Arts Centre, Peebles (part of the Music in Peebles concert season), Clare Hammond (photo: right) gave the world première of From the Purgatorio of Dante for solo piano. Further performances followed at Oban, Milngavie, Ardrishaig, Perth Concert Hall, and Musselburgh.
To hear a recording of Clare’s performance in Perth Concert Hall, please click on the Listen menu above.
(2) My Violin Concerto, a BBC commission for the Proms, was premiered at the Royal Albert Hall in August 2016.
‘Malcolm Hayes’s Violin Concerto…was easily the most impressive new work in the [Proms] season, clearly rooted in the English pastoral tradition, but steering it in a strikingly different direction.’ (Andrew Clements, The Guardian, 12 September 2016)
The wonderful soloist was Tai Murray (photo: right), with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, conducted by Thomas Søndergård.
To hear the recording of the performance (included in online review page):
Programme note (proof copy): Violin Concerto note (Photo credit: http://www.johnbrockliss.com/portfolio/album/shoreline)
Further press and online reviews:
For more reviews of the premiere, please go to the Composing page above, and click on the Performance reviews submenu.
About Tai Murray:
And a quick self-portrait in words by Tai herself:
(3) In the premiere of my orchestral work Byzantium, Garry Walker conducted the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the BBC’s Maida Vale Studios. To hear the Radio 3 recording, please click on the Listen menu above.
To read Paul Conway’s review in Tempo magazine (Cambridge University Press), and Richard Whitehouse’s in Classical Source, please go to the Composing menu above, and click on the Performance Reviews submenu.
(4) The BBC Singers and their chief guest conductor Paul Brough have given the first performance of my choral work May Magnificat, in a concert in St Paul’s Church, Knightsbridge, London. To hear a clip of the BBC Radio 3 recording, please click on the Listen menu above.
(5) A beautifully sung recording of my Corpus Christi carol setting has been made by the Oxford Schola Cantorum, conducted by James Burton. To hear this, please click on the Listen menu above.
Corpus Christi is published in the Faber New Choral Works series. The link to the Faber Music website page is:
To hear this and other works by me, please click on the Listen menu. Further information is on the Composing menu.
If you’re interested in programme notes, preview features, or promotional material written to order, this is where to start looking. Please click on the Writing menu above.
My biography of Liszt – in the format of a double CD set, plus a handsomely printed booklet containing the full 55,000-word text – is published by Naxos:
To read reviews of this by Paul Driver (Sunday Times) and Ian Lace (MusicWeb International), please go to the Writing menu above, and click on the Book Reviews submenu.
For details and to purchase a copy online, please go to:
For all enquiries about my writing or composing activities, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rather than add my own blogspot to those already out there, this page will instead list the occasional link to someone else’s thoughts – as below.
London and Glasgow, UK